Monday, December 26, 2011

Post-Birthright Day 1: The New Adventure Begins

The next morning, I woke to an empty room on a mostly empty floor in the Jerusalem Gate Hotel. Realizing I still hadn't confirmed a place to sleep that night (or any night for the next 2+ weeks, for that matter), I went downstairs to use the internet and book a hostel for the night. After a nice hotel breakfast, three fellow Birthright extendees and I went to the Jerusalem Biblical Zoo.

The zoo is divided into two halves: the regular zoo, filled with all sorts of animals, on one side; the "Biblical" part with animals found in scripture on the other. We hit the regular zoo first, then went around the the "Biblical" part.  It wasn't that extensive, but it was still fun.  It was nice to have a small break from the constant history and amazingness of the last 10 days.

Thumbs-upping penguins!

David and Hannah fed the birds some nectar.

David and Hannah fed the birds some nectar.

David and Hannah fed the birds some nectar.

Thumbs-upping some lions!

Thumbs-upping some weird fish.

Some petting zoo goats.

Some African mammals in the Biblical half of the zoo.

Noah's Arc visitor's center - hilarious!

After the zoo, we went back to the hotel to pick up our luggage and get lunch before parting ways for the day.  I took Jerusalem's new Light Rail to the Old City, and decided to hang out outside Jaffa Gate for a while before going in to find my hostel - I thought perhaps there would be a lighting ceremony for the giant menorah in the plaza.  Here is a video-blog of sorts, about a minute long:

 Video-blog from outside Jaffa Gate

Aaand if you're lazy and just want to look at pictures:

 Approaching Jaffa Gate outside the Old City at sunset.

 Waiting for the "lighting" of the menorah outside Jaffa Gate

Eventually I decided it was too cold to continue waiting, and went to find my hostel.  It was Citadel Hostel in the Christian quarter - after being so saturated in everything Jewish for 10 days, it was a little disorienting walking in the front door and seeing Christmas decorations all over the place.  The place was interesting - like winding stone caves, up and up and up to the roof.  I'd booked a private room for the night, since I wasn't committed to making that place my home.  The view from the roof was incredible - here's another little video-blog about that:

 The view from the roof of my hostel, 360 degrees, in the Old City of Jerusalem.

After getting settled, I went back out into the city to find the Heritage House, which was the original hostel suggested to me but whose number didn't work (or so I thought - I just didn't understand Israeli dial tones).

The Heritage House is a free hostel for Jewish travelers, and was suggested to me by one of my Birthright guides, Yonit.  It turned out to be a beautiful, wonderful place, and I got to know the staff and a couple girls staying there while I lit my menorah and drank some tea.  I departed for the night, since I'd already payed for the other room, but it was right down the "street" from the Heritage House still in the Old City so it was not a big deal.  I couldn't wait to move in to the Heritage House in the morning!

My menorah is the colorful one in the back - they are all so pretty there in the window!

As always, I do not include all (or even close to all) of my photos here in my blog.  To see all my photos from my post-Birthright travels, see my Flickr album:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtashalocke/sets/72157628990457609/

No comments:

Post a Comment